To celebrate the resuscitation of my blog I’ve put together a new podcast of some of the odder records that I bought (mostly) in 2009.
I’ve developed a liking for popcorn and due to the ludicrous price that some Northern Soul records fetch on ebay, I’ve been adding quite a few popcorn and other oddball records to my collection.
The nice thing about odd records is that they are in the main quite cheap! Even the Nat Wright which I’ve seen advertised for up to £100 only cost me £7 (including postage!), it was hidden away on a japanese site in listings of records from boxes in storage. Thank you google!
Anyway, here it is in all its glory, track list follows with a brief comment on each record. Enjoy.
- Jocko – Blast Off To Love – Wand — Great Googa Mooga!
- Johnny Rivers – Secret Agent Man – UK Liberty — Just a fantastic tune!
- The Playmates – The Day I Died – Roulette — A popcorn classic that is so bad it is good! What lyrics!
- Jimmy Ricks – Daddy Rollin’ Stone — Mean moody R&B, Who’s The Daddy?
- Candy Reed – Give Me Love – Vanguard — One of the best records I bought last year. In my playbox.
- Willie Jones – Comin Back To You – Storm Records — Early Detroit, this may well be dog rare.
- Chyvonne Scott – I’m Moving On – Alto — Had to buy a stack of 20 records to get this cheap, hidden away on ebay. Yippee!
- Ernie Sheldon – And A Man – Columbia — Mysoginist record of the week? Lyrics from a different era that sound faintly creepy today.
- Ritchie Adams – Pakistan – Imperial — Just terrible! But compulsive all the same. The duet at the end ruins what could have been great.
- Nat Wright – Run, Sonny, Run, – Petal — Short, sweet and absolutely brilliant.
Hope that was entertaining, might do a Motown one next.